Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Schanzer and the Palm Beach Kennel Club

My old freind, Jon Schanzer, recently played at another card room (in a Greyhound track) in Florida. One afternoon I got a random call from Schanzer, who was at the airport in West Plam Beach. He asked me if I knew about the Palm Beach Kennel Club. I never played there, but I heard about that place... just another one of the many greyhound dogtracks that coverted space for a poker room (to increase revenue), when the state of Florida allowed some limited poker gambling.

Here's what Schanzer wrote me: "I arrived in West Palm Beach last week for a quick overnight business trip. Business lasted from 7 to 10, and my flight was at 5:50 am the next morning (officially, the crack of ass). I decided that I could sleep anytime, and that the Kennel Club was calling my name. After all, it was only a five-minute cab ride from the airport Hilton.

While the dog track stuff leave much to be desired, the poker room was very nice. Leather bumpers, dim lighting, lots of TVs on the wall. Hold 'em had a serious line when I got there, so I played some 7 card (stud) for a while. I did fairly well, actually. I was up about $30 after a half hour. My biggest hand was a a full house - 9s over 3s. I felt bad, though. I kept raising this deaf guy at my table who had two pair. My hand kicked his ass, and it cleaned him out.

After that hand, my name was soon called and I hit the hold 'em table. It was by far the youngest table I've seen. Four college students, and a couple of guys my age. Just one old lady who lost her friggin shirt. She kept staying in with a pair of 2s, a pair of 3's, ace high.... It was painful. The young guys kept betting heavily, so the pots were juicy.

The best part of the evening was the last half hour. Between 11:30 and Midnight, the intensity picks up. Everyone bets the max and the dealers know that they have to speed up the dealing. They were lightning hands with big money. And unfortunately, even after a fat flush and a sweet straight, I started to hemorrage cash. I probably should have picked up my chips and cashed in when I dropped down to even. But with the speed, the money and the buzz... I had to stay in. By the stroke of midnight, I had dropped some $70. But I had a blast...."

Thanks, Schanzer, for the great write up. I wish I had your job, giving lectures and then playing poker at dogtracks!

No comments:

Post a Comment