Friday, February 27, 2004

Wil Wheaton's Poker Blogs...

Since Wil Wheaton is blogging about poker these days, I think he qualifies to play in the next poker bloggers tourney, right Iggy? I'm sure he'll get on the ball and invite Wil to play with us. Ben Affleck is too cool for us lowly scum of the earth poker bloggers. But Wil seems like a cool guy. I hope he considers playing.

Well, I had Wil's site linked up from my other blog. But I saw that Chris Halverson mentioned the link on his site. Wil's an active blogger and an excellent writer specifically when he talks about his first No Limit tournament at a sketchy place in Hollyweird. Check out: Lying in Odessa Part I. Here's a bit:
"You play poker, right?" my friend said to me a few weeks earlier, as we waited for the subway.

"Yeah. You have a game?" I said. I've been looking for something similar to The Tuesday Night Game ever since I read Big Deal.

"Sort of. You ever heard of the Odessa Room?"

I shook my head. "I'm spectacularly uncool, Shane, and I live in suburbia. What's the Odessa Room?"

"It's an honest-to-goodness speakeasy in Hollywood. Twice a month they have poker tournaments."
And make sure you take a look at his second entry: Lying in Odessa Part II. Here's a bit of that:
We play a few hands, but my cards are shit, and I don't get into any pots. It's okay, I'll be patient. Stick to the plan.

For a game in Hollywood, there's precious little coffehousing, until Mr. Lawyer says to me, "Hey guy, aren't you an actor?"

I hate that question, because I always have to answer, "I used to be."

"Whaddaya mean, 'used to be?'" Says the guy to my right. He's a Webmaster from Long Beach who could have saved an hour on the freeway and played at the Bicycle, but I find out later that he comes here because he's a starfucker.

"I haven't done any acting in a long time. I'm a writer now." This answer doesn't seem to satisfy them, so I say, "I only act when something really great comes along."
I think that Hdouble needs to give Wil some quick poker lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment