Friday, April 23, 2010

Intro Music

By Pauly
Los Angeles, CA


Music is the essence of the soul.

A couple of weeks ago, Professional Keno Player Neil Fontenot pointed out a Phantasy Tour thread (PT is the 2+2 equivalent for jamband fans) where the users debated on... "If you were a baseball relief pitcher, what song would you come out to?"

PKPNF picked 2001 by Phish. I couldn't decide, torn between... Led Zeppelin's Trampled Under Foot or the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise). However, nothing can top Mo Rivera trotting out to the mound with Enter Sandman blasting. Even the boys at Metallica paid tribute to Mo.

Poker players are wanna-be athletes and most of us in the poker media treat them like sports figures. Party Poker's Big Game IV featured intro music to their participants as they walked onstage. Pokerati posted about the intro/walk-on music a couple of weeks ago. As expected, Roland "Hungry Like" de Wolfe entered with Duran Duran's Hungry Like the Wolf. Good to see The Clash and LL Cool J represented. You really get to know someone by the music they listen to, so it was interesting to discover that Neil Channing is fan of The Smiths. You can see a complete playlist for Big Game IV players here.

A friend of mine wondered what would my potential walk-on song be. A good question for sure. I was stumped for a few days, but during a drive from Las Vegas to L.A., I narrowed down my choices to a diverse list of five songs.

I'm assuming the first 60 seconds are the most crucial element of the walk-on song, so I selected five with a couple of quick grooves and hooks. I could write a 20,000 word essay on why I picked those songs, but I'll spare you the rambling rhetoric. Instead, here are the five songs...
1. Pusherman by Curtis Mayfield



2. Play Your Part (Pt. 1) by GirlTalk



3. Brass Monkey by Beastie Boys



4. Down With Disease by Phish



5. Devil's Haircut by Beck


By the way, just missing the cut were Big Pimpin' by Jay Z, The Vicodin Song by Terra Naomi, and Peace Frog from The Doors.

12 comments:

  1. Sam Shah8:10 PM

    My walk on song would definitely be the intro music for the chicago bulls, the old michael jordan intro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Cream Puff War?  Viola Lee? Eleven?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I considered Shakedown, but I couldn't find any appropriate  Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely have to put in my vote for Brass Monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have thought Traffic's "Can't Find my way home" might have made the cut... 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alan Bostick1:32 PM

    I think having John Cage's 4'33" as one's walk-on music would be really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:48 PM

    I was thinking that it would be pretty cool to have walk on music for the WSOP ME final table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ernest10:57 PM

    Great list, Pauly.  Pusherman!  That's awesome.
    I kicked around Rock n Roll by Zep, Bring Tha' Noise by Public Enemy w/ Anthrax, or Baba O'Reilly by the Who, but hands down, without a doubt I gotta go with.......
    For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica.  
    They are just the undisputed champs of entrance music. 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ernest11:06 PM

    I just changed my mind.
    Thunderstruck by AC/DC.
    Final answer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jose Hernandez9:29 AM

    <span>Would coming out with Motorhead's Ace of spades be too cliche?
    </span>

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steg Money2:30 PM

    Warren G and Nate Dogg - "Regulators, Mount Up"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd go with "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys.  After all, isn't that what you're trying to do?

    ReplyDelete