Friday, November 27, 2009

Turkey Cup Attracts 84 Players; Joanne Wins 3.0 Version

By Pauly
New York City

Waiting on a train to head on Phish tour, so this will be a quickie.

This year's installment of Turkey Cup attracted a whopping 84 runners! I was blown away by that number. Thanks to everyone who played, pimped, and tweet'd (and RT'd) the annual Turkey Day evening tournament. We had plenty of players from Canada (after all it just another Thursday for them), but we also had a couple of Europeans and Jose was representing South America in the event. Humbling to see a global turnout for Turkey Cup.

The prize pool was... $420. I wish I was making that up. Awesome job, gang.

Here's my pseudo-starting table...
My Table:
Seat 1: Dr Thesaurus
Seat 3: Runt Cake
Seat 4: mtpettyp
Seat 5: DrPauly
Seat 6: gr8fulmouse
Seat 7: Kevmath
Seat 8: albethke
Seat 9: shakesjp
Gigli honors went to DAJETZ82.

I took a hit early on when my stack was under assault from Kevin Mathers. I folded on the river with 2-pair & A-5 versus Mathers' straight. That knocked me down to under 1K. I couldn't get anything going and did not get any action with Q-Q or K-K.

I folded Jacks on one hand. mtpettyp raised. I flatted with Jacks. gr8fulmouse 3-bet shoved with Aces. mtpettyp called and I folded. I stayed alive, but barely.

Last year's defending champion, Daddy, busted out in 66th.

At first break, I had under 900 in chips. I sat near the bottom of 53 players. Friedman held the chip lead. I busted shortly after the break in 51st. I open-shoved with 10-9s and Idiottax called with 9-9. I flopped two spades, but I could not get there and I was dunzo.

Second break with 17 to go, MoonMonsta took over the chip lead. Bogged down in the middle of a big PLO cash game at that point and sweating the Giants/Broncos game, I was distracted but did what I can to keep an eye on the action.

The final table paid out prize money...
The Final Table:
Seat 1: dAAmnhomie (29522 in chips)
Seat 2: Garthmeister (2761 in chips)
Seat 3: change1OO (7791 in chips)
Seat 4: Joanne1111 (18960 in chips)
Seat 5: badblood44 (11095 in chips)
Seat 6: grouse14 (5409 in chips)
Seat 7: MoonMonsta (18496 in chips)
Seat 8: TJ PackMan (14700 in chips)
Seat 9: oceannlv (17266 in chips)
dAAmanhomie started the final table as the chipleader, but took a couple if beats to lose the lead. The tournament seemed to drag in the middle stages, but the final table went quick. When the dust settled, Joanne took it down after she beat BadBlood heads up.

Click here for a screen cap of the final table for Turkey Cup 3.0.

Congrats to Joanne and thanks again to everyone who played and pimped the event. We will definitely be back in 2010. Hope everyone had fun this year.

And... stay tuned for a special announcement concerning Saturdays with Dr. Pauly. If you're a PLO junkie... never fear. I'm in the process of figuring out my schedule for the next year. At the least, we'll have a monthly version of SwDrP. I don't know about you, but I need my PLO fix!

And you can always follow my Phishy travels over at Coventry and on Twitter.


Original content written and provided by Pauly from Tao of Poker at www.taopoker.com. All rights reserved. RSS feeds are for non-commercial use only.

No comments:

Post a Comment