Thursday, March 17, 2005

Luck of McGrupp

Like a good McCatholic I must pay homage to my McAlkie heritage and let everyone know that today is St. Patrick's Day. That's when all of America proudly celebrates Irish heritage, binge drinking, the color green, and getting totally plowed at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Of course that's what Irish people normally call... Thursday.

Here's the best explanation of the "Luck of the Irish"...
"The luck of the Irish" means good luck. People use it when a person of Irish descent inexplicably beats the odds. (Beating the odds isn't inexplicable, it just looks that way, but it surprises observers.) My guess about its origin: the idea that the Irish people have suffered so many misfortunes that it's a miracle whenever something comes out right for them, and it can only be explained by being blessed with an inherited form of good luck.
Well, shit. I'm definitely heading to the tables on Party Poker and see if the Irish genes pay off for something other than a disposition for liver cancer.

Luck is a very fickle subject. Much like love, luck has driven plenty of people crazy and driven others to success. On my way home the other night, there was a homeless guy walking around on the subway with just pants on at 3am. They looked like a pair of Old Navy cargo pants. He was barefoot and shirtless. He asked people for food, money, clothing, or shoes. It's still winter here in the big city and he looked like he was freezing. Snot was hanging off his nose and upper lip. He would get on his knees and beg in front of the passengers... one by one. I would have given him some cash, but all I had were big bills. I am such a pompous asshole. I couldn't break a hundred or fifty dollar bill and opted not to donate to his cause. I probably should have given him the rest of my poker bankroll. That would have improved all my karma ten fold. But I'm a greedy bastard. It's a fucked up world we live in somedays. It's good that I get those in-your-face reminders that we're all one turn of the card away from total depravity. And that deep down, I'll always be a selfish prick who only cares about himself.

Did I learn anything about that encounter? After a brief wave of self-examination, I felt guilty but that quickly subsided becuase I chalked up the homeless guy's situation to luck. He didn't have any... and I had a ton. Most days, I feel that I'm the luckiest guy in the world. That's why I will be hitting the tables on Party Poker to pad the bankroll. I will also play in a WSoP satellite on Poker Stars... to ride the lucky streak that my Irish ancestry has passed along.


Of course, today is also the start of March Madness and the college basketball tournament. Thanks to everyone who joined my pool. It is going to be an exciting tournament. My favorite team is also one of the teams that Vegas likes... North Carolina. This time of year is a total rush. One week from today, I'll be in Las Vegas, surfing the wave of luck, insobriety, and utter madness while gambling on the games at the sports book in Mandalay Bay. For now, I'll have one eye on the TV and the will be watching my hole cards.


Check and Raise's St. Patty's Day Promotion

Jeff from Check and Raise sent me an email about the special St. Patrick's Day promo they are having today. If you get 2c-7c at any time in a ring game (any limit)... then you get $25! Just email support your hand number. I'll try to win with the Irish Hammer!


March Madness Big Bets

I only like two teams today and I'm betting heavily on them... Kentucky (-15.5 over Eastern Kentucky) and Alabama (-5.5 over UW-Milwaukee). I decided to stick with favorites this year and avoid picking too many upsets. I'll wait for the second round to to evaluate the remianing 32 teams and figure out who has the best chance of making it into the Sweet 16.

Good luck at the tables today and tonight. May the road rise to meet you and I hope you spike your two outer on the river to scoop a monster pot!


March Madness: The Teams

We have 42 teams in this year's Pauly's Pub March Madness Pool with a record prize pool of $420. Top 4 places pay... Winner will get $200. 3 folks didn't do their picks. I got payment for 7 of you already. Good job, guys. If you haven't submitted your payments... do so now.

Here are the teams:
MyGirlFriend MadeMeDoIt (Spider) = Duke
Picking at Random (Anistropy Sean) = Illinois
Stay Free Ugarte (Ugarte) = Illinois
Your Mascots Tickler (Spider) = Illinois
Oyster Bay Orangemen (Joe Moore) = Wake
Big Bold Bastards (Johnny Flopbot) = UNC
LandowEntry (Landow) = Illinois
Senor Jr (Senor) = Wake
Fennis's Dembo (GW Jay) = Duke
HUSKY REPRISE (Senor) = UNC
Trailer Park Hoochies (Briana) = Illinois
Chico's Bail Bonds (Derek) = UNC
AlexPKeaton Trust Fund (Drizz) = Illinois
Inside the Paris Hilton (Pauly) = UNC
The Brooklyn Embeds (Gil) = Illinois
Signor Ferrari (Ferrari) = Illinois
Steal This Bracket (Poker Geek) = Illinois
Ballersby Knights (G-Rob) = UNC
The Israeli Nightmares (Gil) = Oklahoma
Girtz NYC (Girtz) = Duke
Stop Your Begging (Coach) = UNC
Buttamaker's Boilermakers (Derek) = Illinois
Twinkle and Turquoise (Jenna & Haley) = UCONN
CinderANG (Mrs. Senor) = Illinois
Austin Paulbearers (M. Stephans) =Illinois
Well T'anks For Nuttin' (Jerry) = OK State
Surrealistic Celibacy (BG) = OK State
Syracuse Phenomenon (CJ) = Syracuse
Drohan 2005 (Bad Blood) = Illinois
OrangeUGlad I SaidOrange (Spider) = Illinois
lets do it againsoxpat (Singer) = Louisville
Simian Rage (Scurvy Dog) = Illinois
Homer's Hard Wood (Armen) = Wake
Dr. Gonzo's Malt Liquor (Pauly) = OK State
ILikeYou Betty (Sean Lovelace) = UCONN
YouScratched MyAnchor (Sean Lovelace) = Kansas
The Otis Ramblers (Otis) = Illinois
NYC HighOnPoker (Jordan) = Kentucky
The Name I want won't f (Bob) = Wake
Double Belly Draw (K. Hungus) = UNC
Spudtastic Webbalicious (Poker Nerd) = Illinois
Marlboro and Lungbutter (AlCantHang) = Syracuse
Best of luck everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment