Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Excuse Me for a Moment...

Did you ever have that overwhelming feeling where you need to take a step outside and catch a breath of fresh air? Perhaps you went to your favorite bar on a Friday night or you are at a friend's party. You are one of the first to arrive and you get to witness the entire party/bar/scene take form as the first guests show up and the place slowly fills up. You get engrossed in lively conversation with different friends, some of which you haven't seen or talked to in a while. In fact everyone is coming over to talk to you and get you a drink. Then at one magical moment, you look around and realize that some of your favorite people in the world are in the same room as you. Not only are you having an amazing time, but you're sharing it with some of the most special people in your life. That collective original experience is one that warm memories are made of. It's something you'll look back on years from now and smile.

Then there's that one defining moment which happens at every party and every night in a bar. I guess Malcolm Gladwell would describe that moment as the "tipping point" where everything changes. There's always one part of the night where all the fun, energy, and excitement peaks, and the events from the remainder of the night slowly creep away, not quite matching up to the apex of the party. You then find yourself in a crowded room, but only recognize a few faces.

That's where I'm at right now.

The party is raging and I'm overwhelmed. Maybe I had too much to drink, or mabye it got so crowded that I could barely move or breathe. Regardless, I desperately needed to leave the party for a few minutes to get my space together. I want to go back inside and enjoy the rest of the night. And I will. However, for right now I need to walk around the block before I finish up the night strongly with my friends.

I'm embarking on the "beginning of the end." Not to worry, we can still have a good time together. There's still a few more hours left before the cops bust up the party or before the bartender flickers the lights and announces, "Last call!"

So please excuse me for a little while longer. I'll be back soon...

Oh, and this blurb called "Pauly pauses for a breath" made me chuckle. It's from the UK Times. Thanks for the warm sentiments from across the pond, Howard.

No comments:

Post a Comment