Thursday, May 07, 2009

PLO Hands: Against Two Flopped Sets....

By Pauly
Hollyweird, CA

I will not claim to have seen everything in poker. When he's not making Joan Rivers jokes on Twitter, even the almighty Texas Dolly himself admits from time to time... "Well, I never saw that before."

Alas, I came across one of those odd hands that comes up every now and then if you play PLO. I ran into a player who flopped two sets. It's not the first time that has happened to me and won't be the last.
BoneDaddy84: 10s-10c-4c-4h
Pauly: Ad-Qd-5s-3s

Flop: 10d-4d-3c
Turn: As
River: 3h
It happened in the Skillz game on Tuesday night. Down to the final three tables. I was 7th in chips with 22 to go with almost 16K. The chipleader, BoneDaddy84, sat to my right with a 24K stack. Both of us combined had almost 60% of all the chips on our table.

Action folded to BoneDaddy at the CO. He limped for 400. I limped behind him on the button with Ad-Qd-5s-3s. Both blinds called.

The flop was 10d-4d-3c. I had a nut-flush draw, a gutshot Wheel draw, and a paltry bottom pair. The blinds checked to BoneDaddy who bet 800. I potted to 4K and wanted to win it right there. Both blinds folded and BoneDaddy raised to 9,999. A few hands earlier I bluffed him with a pot-sized raise on the flop. I put him on a much wider range of check-raising hands since he knew I was playing very loose in position. At worst, I was a 60/40 dog. I shoved for the rest of my stack. He quickly called with two sets... 10s-10c-4c-4h. He flopped top and middle set, but I had one of those durrrr draws. Lots of outs. 60/40 indeed.

The turn was the As and I improved to two pair. An Ace would give me a bigger boat and I still had a flush/straight draws, but I slipped to a 67/33 dog.

The river was the 3h. I boated up. Alas, my baby boat lost to BoneDaddy's tens full of treys. He won the 32K pot and added even more chips to his massive stack as I hit the rail in 22nd place.

Two sets? One of those days.


Original content written and provided by Pauly from Tao of Poker at www.taopoker.com. All rights reserved. RSS feeds are for non-commercial use only.

No comments:

Post a Comment