Friday, June 30, 2006

Poker Divas and Radio Days


Pauly, Liz, BJ, and Foiled Coup

For a third day in a row, I'm stooping to a new low and pimping Liz Lieu one more time. Can you blame me? She's cool. Funny. Smart. Hot. She crushes the competition. And she reads my blog. Everyday.

I ate dinner with Grubby at Kahunaville in Treasure Island. I ordered the Aloha Lime Chicken and the Big Kahuna Sundae for dessert. After dinner, I wandered back over to the Rio and ran into Liz and Wendy Measley. They both thanked me for linking up Liz Lieu and sending her a ton of traffic. Liz was especially excited and whipped out a sexy photo of herself. She autographed it for me.

When I walked into the media room, I noticed that Otis was on the floor and away from his work area. I left the autograph sitting on his laptop. When he saw it, he flipped me the finger.


Otis on "hot-poker-chick tilt" is hilarious to witness.

He was excited to tell me about his dinner with SNL alum Norm MacDonald, but as soon as he saw the autograph he knew that was nothing compared to getting autographed pic from the lovely and talented Liz Lieu.

* * * * *

When I walked into the Rio, Max Pescatori told me in passing that he translated two of my articles for his Italian poker site. Wow. I'm honored because that was the first time any of my work has been translated into a different language. Unless you count "Jive" as a language.

When I spoke to Nolan Dalla for a few minutes, he congratulated me on the Bluff Poker Radio gig. He also mentioned that how it was important that I got to cover this year's WSOP.

"You're writing is excellent. I'm a huge fan," he said.

Nolan is one of the people I respect the most in poker. To hear that from him gave me more encouragement to ignore the chipcounts and hand histories and find the real stories of this year's WSOP.

I spotted BJ in the hallway trying to pick up one of the hot chicks who works for Image Masters... "I used to run marathons, you know."

I also saw Tanya playing in the $1500 Limit event. She was at Joe Sebok's table and gave me a big hug.

* * * * *

I did my first show on Bluff Radio. I give my performance a D+. I could have done much better. I was timid and when I spoke, I sounded awful. Everyone at Bluff thought I did a good job but I strongly disagree. We had a few minor issues like not having taped interviews ready when we ready to play them. Hopefully all of this will be ironed out over the next few days. But starting next week, Spaceman said that we're gonna be doing the 4 to 5 hour segment by ourselves.

We had Nick Geber leading the way in the three-man booth. We were set up right in front of the final table. Even Andy Bloch mentioned that we had the best seats in the house.

Nick Geber is British and has an amazing radio voice. He's a true pro and does soccer games for Fox. I felt intimidated sitting in the same booth as him. We interviewed Carlos Mortensen a few minutes after he was knocked out in 9th place in Event #2 $1500 NL. We also had Andy Bloch sit in and talk blackjack with us.

I was only supposed to do an hour and ended up doing two. I'll return to the airwaves on Tuesday and will not be appearing this weekend on Bluff Radio. I'm going out of town to Hollyweird for the weekend. I'll be back at work on Monday.

* * * * *

Event #2 completed a few moments ago. I posted a recap of Event #2 $1500 NL over at Las Vegas & Poker Blog called Cantu Can Do It. Take a peek.

Like I said earlier, Carlos Mortensen was eliminated in 9th place after edning the first day as the chipleader. Mortensen busted after losing three crucial coinflips. The event became wide open but Brandon Cantu from Vancouver, WA (not Canada) prevailed. He won his first bracelet and over $750K in cash. Not a bad take for three days of work. That's a quarter of a million dollars per day for those of you who are mathematically challenged.

Here's the final table results:
Event #2 $1500 NL:
1. Brandon Cantu (Vancouver, WA) $757,839
2. Mark Ly (Los Angeles, CA) 416,816
3. Drew Rubin (Hollywood, FL) $226,597
4. Lee Padilla (Modesto, CA) $176,579
5. Brent Roberts (Staten Island, NY) $151,570
6. Don Zewin (Las Vegas, NV) $126,940
7. Ron Stanley (Henderson, NV) $107,614
8. Mark Swartz (Phoenix, AZ) $88,668
9. Carlos Mortensen (Las Vegas, NV) $71,617
* * * * *

Stop by Las Vegas & Poker Blog to check out some of Flipchip's 2006 WSOP Photos. Here's a sample:

062806-18.jpg
"You wanna go Pumpkin Head?"

No comments:

Post a Comment